Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: for sale 828 cab's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To many speakers. These have the 2245 mod's in the bass unit but can be restored to original. Looking for someone in the SF Bay region. Cheap. Make offer. No drivers, they are easier to stash.

    Jim N

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If no one here responds, you might try the "for sale" area on the LH forum. Probably more 'bay boys' over there.

    I'm still somewhat puzzled why these didn't suit you better...

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The dual 15's in the 817's have more bass punch and go lower. I don't think that there is enough volume in the 828 cabs for the 2245 to work up to design spec's. I have heard banks of 2245's in large cabinets at concerts and they do have bass punch. I am sure they were equalized to bring out the low bass but it was there. A 12 ft^3 box under my 817's wou8ld be about 2 feet high. That may be more than I want. Since I don't listen to videos and mostly Jazz anything below about 30 Hz is lost on me.

    Jim N

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No doubt the horns will slap you, that's a given.

    Interesting. I think I once measured ~7.8 ft with the new dividing panel flush with the horn and baffle bottom, and some added bracing. The std for 2245s was 8-10 ft, tuned around 27. WinISD defaults to 7.708' at 30.16Hz, for an F3 of 36Hz.

    The kicker is the 6-8dB more power they need to play with the mid horn, when it kicks in around 180Hz at ~105dB...no wimpy amps allowed...

    Did you ever make any tests?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That is about what I came up with. I tuned them to about 30 Hz with lots of polyfil. 33 without. I have the TrueRTA with the 1/24 octave and a Beringer mic. I am not impressed with it. My take is purely subjective. I like my dual 15's better than the 18. Maybe I should not sell the 828. That could be my exercise regime. Moving 300# cabinets back and forth forums .

    Jim

  6. #6
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    BTW, I tri amp so adjusting for frequency is fairly easy.

    JIm N

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Where did you cross them? 416 or 515? Delay?

    With 515s, I found they didn't flatten out until the horn did, around 200Hz, the 120-200 rise occurring as the horn loads up. Crossing below there either leaves a dip in a bad place, or worse. The 18" is still pistonic and musical even above 200Hz. 3+ octaves isn't out of the question. To match the mids here requires ~10dB more power, but will be durn flat from 40 to 500. (Nothing like an A7)... forums

    My tinkering shows the 2245 is real sensitive to being damped correctly. It's a pain to repeatedly pull that monster to adjust stuffing, but it's worth doing. Use the old battery click, and stuff until the sound goes from "thud" to "click". Click the 515, they should sound a lot alike. Call it Q&D impulse measurement.

    There's an inherent mental block with these too. We've known the std A7 as a midbass monster for so long, it's VERY hard to (re)consider the 515 in that horn as an oversized midrange, which it becomes when you remove the reflex and all that rear volume. GM finally "turned on the light" for me in this regard. Good thing too, my forehead was getting pretty banged up.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 30, 2008 01:49 AM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Give an old **** a break. Living in Silicon Vally with land prices at $5M/acre, I can't afford enough land to put up a 30x40 listening room, which is what one really needs. I am willing to put up with the earthquakes for the weather. I retract my offer to sell them. Never can tell, you give me pause to retry them. Them 817's were smack on from the start though. I don't remeber the crossover points but I think I was crossing fairly high. I could believe 200 or so. Still did not work for me. Maybe they need a big low end boost? I don't own an equalizer.

    JIm N


    Jim N

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd be more concerned over starting some seismic activity I couldn't stop out where you live...oh well, the ocean will just be closer for the rest of us. forums

    Geez, don't change your mind on my 'count. I can sure see the 817s being more likable. Guess it was back when you said the Stanleys blew 'em away I got curious.

    I'll check back with you in a few years, if you're glad you kept them...you're welcome...if not...here's a quarter... forums

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Doh...having so much fun I forgot what I meant to say of worth.

    You shouldn't need EQ for either, as long as you're happy with 35Hz F3. There's a huge efficiency imbalance though, so you've gotta boost the 2245s entire BW by ~10dB with your gain settings. When each driver (individually) produces the same SPL with a ~180/XO sine, you're there.

    It means huge disparity in power needs for the LF/MF amps, the LF will be cookin' while the MF is loafin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.